Saturday, September 15, 2012

Picture this.

Brian didn't talk much about his girlfriends, or any other people he knew. He had an organic philosophy of life, one that allows for growth and change, and finding one's way in the world. He was always open to possibilities, to make friends, make discoveries.

After he met Janet, he began to tell us what a wonderful girl he had met.
When he brought her up to meet us in 2010, we knew he was smitten with her and he was a changed man.

And so, as the romance developed, I began to see other aspects of his philosophy of life. He became a planner and a dreamer. Every purchase, every step he took was now most important to his ultimate goal to marry, have children, support the family unit.

A few weeks before his death he and Janet had visited us at the lake and talked about having the wedding there. They were also planning to upgrade the house in Long Beach he had purchased a couple of years earlier, improve the garden so they could have all their friends for a reception after they married.  Picture a small wedding at the lake, with the two families and a couple of friends, then, a few weeks later, a reception for all their friends.  I had no idea how many friends they had!
I had no idea that hundreds of people would gather one last time to make that garden dream come true!

Now, the wedding date had not been set yet. Janet was in school (is in school).  He had promised her family that they would wait.  In the meantime, he and Janet planned an upgrade of the garden and he borrowed his father's big rototiller to get started in the back garden.  The two of them had already renovated the front garden, and I have pictures of the two of them doing the hard work of digging and planting.

That first garden they planted together cemented their friendships.
That last garden honored his memory and dreams beautifully.

Thanks to all his friends who made that dream come true. And many, many thanks to Janet, for believing in him, for loving him, for honoring his memory so beautifully.

5 comments:

  1. I wish I had know him.......He must have been a beautiful person..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Rosaria,
    I've returned today to re-read the last four or five of your "Brian" posts. I sit here with my eyes closed, head down, wondering how in the world you are able to do this, to manage it all. And I know, deep down, you can't ever come to terms with the tragedy, the loss. Just know how much I care ... how so many care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosaria hearing about Janet and the up coming wedding has made me sit here with tears running down my face. I hope that writing about Brian is helping you come to terms with the whole situation. I think it would for me, I have written all my notes for My Life Before Charente and I think it has helped. Take care Diane

    ReplyDelete